The mission of the Pawtucket Public Library is to enhance the quality of life for all citizens of Pawtucket by offering services which are indispensable to all and which provide information and opportunities for education, personal enrichment, and recreation. In doing so, the library strives to respond to the needs and desires of each individual and to treat everyone with respect and dignity.
LIBRARY SERVICE POLICY
The primary clientele of the Pawtucket Public Library are Pawtucket residents for whom we select material and plan programs. Rhode Island residents, Rhode Island property owners, and the holders of library cards from Ocean State Libraries are also welcome to use our collection and services.
Access To Non Primary Clientele
All individuals may have access to the materials in the library’s collection within the library. For a fee the library provides local use cards to out of state residents who have a library in their community that is certified according to their state requirements. The library also extends borrowing privileges to certified teachers in Pawtucket facilities, students who attend Pawtucket schools, and current and retired Pawtucket municipal employees.
Types And Scope Of Services
The library provides informational, educational, and recreational materials that can be borrowed. The library’s staff provides reference services, reader’s advisory services, educational and recreational programs and interlibrary loan service. Reference materials, periodicals and historical materials are available to use in the building. The library provides meeting rooms for nonprofit groups. Computers, Internet access and other technology resources are also available. The library’s website provides information on holdings, services, and programs. The library’s bookmobile brings library services to Pawtucket neighborhoods.
Approved by Library Trustees 2/16/2016
INTERLIBRARY LOAN POLICY
- All interlibrary loan records are kept strictly confidential.1
- Interlibrary loan transaction records are kept until the transaction is complete.
- Individuals making an interlibrary loan request must have a valid Ocean State Library card, no overdue library material, nor fines greater than $5.00.
- Users are limited to five interlibrary loan requests a week.
- Patrons assume full responsibility for all interlibrary loan materials borrowed. If an interlibrary loan item is damaged or lost, the patron must pay for the cost of repair or replacement.
- Circulation policies of the Pawtucket Public Library apply to all interlibrary loan transactions involving Pawtucket material.
- Interlibrary loan materials may be renewed only with the permission of the lending library. A patron must request a renewal at least three business days before the material is due.
- The following Pawtucket Public Library materials are not available to be interlibrary loaned to outside libraries; however, these materials will be photocopied or digitally scanned whenever possible to fulfill requests.
a. Reference materials
b. Local history materials
c. Microfilm/Microfiche materials
d. Periodicals & Newspapers
- Interlibrary loans may be restricted to “In library use only” at the discretion of the interlibrary loan librarian.
- All staff will follow all guidelines set by the LORI Interlibrary Loan Code, as laid out in Section 4.00 of the Library of Rhode Island Standards and Regulations (July 30, 2015)
1Pawtucket Public Library’s Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records 1/16/2007