On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation and the Pawtucket Public Library, we invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten.
Meet with us to celebrate your journey through 1,000 books with your child before Kindergarten. Free accomplishment stickers and social media flyer every time you read 100 books. Your child can show their accomplishment on the Pawtucket Library’s Facebook page!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Click on the above picture and register your child! As you read books, login to your child’s account and list the book titles. Once you reach 100 (and for every 100 after that) come into the library to get an accomplishment sticker and a social media flyer!
- If you prefer to enter titles here at the library, come on in! There are reading logs that we can print out for you to keep everything organized without a computer. If you want to print out your own materials, everything you need is located at the end of this page at the Resources link.
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for the both of you.
- When you reach 1000 books, you will receive a program completion certificate that every Kindergarten teacher will love to see!
- Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will the program take?
The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate?
All of them (but the children who are registered cannot have yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
- Can my children read the same book more than once?
Yes! Children often read a favorite book many times. Each time they do, the title counts towards the 1,000 total.
- Need book ideas to read to your children?
Visit our Pinterest boards here. Want to try picture books that read themselves on your computer/device? Try TumbleBooks here.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten